Mike Beversluis

Monday, February 01, 2010

New toy


A Browning Buck Mark 22LR target pistol. The full-rail version is notably heftier than the basic version.  The semi-soft (Semi-hard?  Extra-medium?) rubber grips aren't as pretty as some of the rosewood grips, but they are more comfortable and ergonomic.  The trigger is smooth and crisp.  As the saying goes, it's way more accurate than I am.  Routine cleaning is straight-forward, but taking it all the way down requires an allen-key wrench, and you'll need to re-zero the sights once you have it back together.  It's much simpler than the Ruger Mark III family, but it's not a Glock either.  It's the Honda Accord of target pistols.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • I need the Honda Accord of bear pistols.

    By Blogger Hey Skipper, at 01 February, 2010 17:00  

  • Hmmm. Ruger 44?

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 01 February, 2010 17:38  

  • Although, that's more like the Chevy Pickup Truck of bear pistols...

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 01 February, 2010 17:39  

  • My friend Chris has a Ruger .44.

    I didn't like the grip, it felt cumbersome in my hand, and the extra kick of that large caliber exaggerated the discomfort.

    By Anonymous Adam, at 01 February, 2010 21:11  

  • I forgot to add -- it needs to be something my wife can handle.

    By Blogger Hey Skipper, at 02 February, 2010 03:23  

  • Hmm. I honestly have no better idea. Shooting a 44 is no fun, and you'd need to do it enough, consistently, to be useful. Bear spray?

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 02 February, 2010 17:48  

  • Bear spray works great if you don't mind letting a bear get within 20 feet of you, and it remembers to attack from upwind.

    I guy I flew with a few months ago told a funny story. He was hiking, and decided to try out some bear spray that was going off its shelf life. So he carefully aimed downwind, and let fly. Unfortunately, in the mountains, that whole downwind thing can be very temporary.

    Had there been an actual bear, it would have been laughing so hard it wouldn't have been able to attack even a picuhnic basket.

    When I get home, I'm going to have to rent (or whatever you call it) some range time so as to give the family a chance to sample the various options.

    Interestingly, it is my wife and daughter who are bugging me to get off the dime.

    By Blogger Hey Skipper, at 03 February, 2010 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home