Mike Beversluis

Friday, March 04, 2005

Donnie Darko Director's Cut Redux Reduxed

The title? Oh that. Yeah, that's just cause I like writing Redux.

Previously, I was a little down on the Director's Cut version of Donnie Darko. Because I am infallable, I still am.

However, I had not yet put in the second disk. OMG! It is worth the extra $10. I just worry that the guy doing "#1 fan: a darkomentary" is serious. That would not be good. I do not think he is. However, like the movie itself, it's ambiguous.

My new advice? Buy both discs. Trade the theatrical release version disc for disc one of the Director's cut, and then you have something good in the Director's Cut case, and you can ponder if your morals allow you to return the Theatrical Release Case.

Also, as you will also see on disc two: the British still have bad teeth, like seriously, and still have an air of superiority that comes off as blood in the water. Dear British People Talking About America, Please stop trying so hard to come off as better than the Americans who don't appreciate things so subtle as you do, and perhaps it might actually come true, instead of making you sound desperately self-hating. By the way, the fact that every Englishman with a broadband connection seems to use it exclusively to download American TV shows, not to mention the fact that the movie you're raving about is an American film, severly undermines the cultural snobbery angle.

MIKE's CAST IRON RULE OF LIFE: If you have to tell someone you're cool, you're not. If you have to tell someone you're subtle, well, that's not very subtle, is it? In fact, ask yourself why you have to tell someone anything if it's supposed to be obviously true, cause SHOCKING ENDING it is likely neither true nor obvious.

UPDATE: The rest of the second disk, beyond the aforementioned #1 Fan segment, is pretty average DVD extraneous crap thrown in for the faithful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home