Kitchens

The perspective is a little off, but I was drawing it on my knee on the train. Going back to that iPod design article, white and chrome would be a "clean" looking scheme, but I'm not sure how long it would last if the porcelain became stained and cracked - I'd put the white and chrome surfaces in places that wouldn't get too worn or dirty, like the cabinet fronts and refrigerator, and maybe use a robust linoleum or vinyl for the floor covering, and then use stainless steel for the sink and stained concrete for the countertops. On the other hand, antiseptic might not be the best motif for a kitchen - maybe "comfortably organized" would be less institutional? I'm not quite sure what color scheme would resonate with that, though.
Labels: design

2 Comments:
This was just the color scheme that I was thinking for our kitchen - chrome counters with white cabinets. Kind of a modern look, mixed with a cabinet style from the '40s. But I don't know when Eric will be able to get around to tearing out the old kitchen. Maybe sometime after work next week he can schedule it in.
By
Anonymous, at 05 October, 2005 14:12
Ha ha Eric.
I would worry about it looking a little too cold. Also, it might be hard to keep looking fresh after it gets scratched and stained.
I guess if you design it right, you could make it easy to update by suitable choice of cabinetry. That way you would only have to change the doors and hardware for when brown and avacodo green comes back in vogue.
By
Mike Beversluis, at 05 October, 2005 16:33
Post a Comment
<< Home