Mike Beversluis

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

[LMS] The dancer upstairs

The dancer upstairs, di John Malkovich (Spain/USA 2002)


Nice movie, in some parts even fascinating. We are in a South American country and the plot, according to what I read, is inspired to the story of "Shining Path", an organization that made guerrilla war and terrorism in Peru in the 80's.

Most of the plot is built around the investigation on the organization, led by a policeman who behaves honestly (as a result of his deep-rooted belief in law and justice) while serving a corrupt state.

I stick my neck out just with two considerations. First of all the movie blends in an excellent way the "private" point of view (the events in the personal life of the policeman) with a wider perspective; this wider perspective includes only society and not politics, though. More in particular the people that the policeman meets and his social relations create a sharp portrait of society.

Moreover I found very interesting the dialogues between the protagonist and his superiors (of various ranks); the point that is underscored with ability is in my opinion not that there is a confrontation between honesty and corruption (this one would have been a bit trite), but that even in a quite rigid structure that is obviously managed by people without scruples there are explicit tensions between bosses and subordinates and the bosses do not have the option to solve these tensions in their favour neither with violence nor with threats: in other words even dictators need to negotiate with their staff.
Some philosopher of time ago said that there is a dynamic relationship between master and servant such that the master becomes the weaker part, but I do not dare to delve deeper in these obscure theories.

The movie has defects as well; let's say that I have got the impression of some laps in the tone and rhythm of the movie. Very nice settings, the outdoors are used just a little and it is fine this way because the action and drama take place through dialogues above all. Finally, I liked a lot the interpretation by Javier Bardem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home