Mike Beversluis

Monday, October 09, 2006

Quotes and King Cobras

I love quotes. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I do. I collect them and copy them into notebooks. I'm not sure if that's weird, or not, but I am sure that this is a totally unnecessary preamble. I feel like one of those BBC announcers who has to be clever, but isn't, and who can't shut up for way too long (eg, the announcer on this Them video*). Anyway, here is, I mean, here are some quotes (all swiped, from past Quote of the Day's):


"If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done."
- Peter Ustinov

"All phone calls are obscene."
- Karen Elizabeth Gordon

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls."
- M. Cartmill

"You know, you can't please all the people all the time... and last night, all those people were at my show."
- Mitch Hedberg

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."
- A. Whitney Brown

"A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."
- Granville Hicks

"There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have."
- Don Herold

"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers."
- T. S. Eliot

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once."
- Charles Lamb

"Architecture is the art of how to waste space."
- Philip Johnson

"Gratitude is merely the secret hope of further favors."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

By the way, I found a free e-text of a book by La Rochefoucauld. Coincidentally, it has an overlong introduction by its translator.

*Just as an aside, a movie scene that has always stuck in my head is in Wild at Heart when Harry Dean Stanton drives down to New Orleans with that song playing on the radio. Which is an odd scene to remember from that movie. Its like remembering your overdue library book when you're in trapped a room with a six foot tall hissing king cobra.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • It is weird, but didn't Oscar Wilde build a name for himself collecting quotes? And look at him now, he's dead, but has his own quote book. Right? Right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14 October, 2006 19:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home