Mike Beversluis

Friday, January 12, 2007

How to buy a Mattress

You know, in case you were just wondering and happened to read this blog: Going to the mattress - by Seth Stevenson. Turns out, it's snake-oil wrapped up in best-buy placed in the middle of a used car lot. Here's an excerpt:


How Firm Should My Mattress Be?

Herein lies the central mattress paradox. You sleep on coils because they're softer than the floor, but you still want good, firm coils, but then you put foam padding on top to soften the coils, but you still want the foam to be dense, and then finally you put a strong box spring underneath for just a tiny bit of give. All this shuttling back and forth on the scale of firmness—why not just start with the firmness you like, and then stop? My favorite mattress name encapsulates the paradox: Simmons Beautyrest World Class Granite Plush. Granite Plush???

I had an office mate who couldn't understand why anyone would spend anything on a mattress. He slept on a futon. I thought that something you spend ~1/3 of your life on was worth a little more.

I went looking for something that felt well-built and "not sproingy". On a 1-10 sproingy scale, I would give my current mattress a 7. Also, something that didn't squeak. So far so good. I did however, let the salesman talk me into a box-matress, as this apparently was critical to the long-term durability of the mattress. I have no idea why this is better compared to a platform bed, unless you like the Princess and the Pea three foot tall sleeping on a counter top feel. So, no new box mattresses for me. Take that, Mr. Took Advantage of My Naievity Sales Guy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home