Mike Beversluis

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fast Food: Ads versus Reality

Here's an ongoing, Pulitzer-caliber project to photograph real fast food and compare it to the advertised versions. Perhaps I am revealing too much of my low-brow/no-brow/uni-brow tastes (not really on the last one), but I think most of it holds up fairly well* considering the lighting and so forth. As anyone who has waded into ebay can attest, close-up still life photography isn't easy.

*The real-life mcmuffin looks more appetizing to me than its Botoxed counterpart, but I suspect this is due to the latter's sub-par professional primping and photography.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • Who labels their own photo stream as a "Pulitzer-caliber project?" Humble he ain't.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 April, 2007 22:37  

  • Perhaps, and I might be going out on a limb here, perhaps it was meant tongue in cheek?

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 19 April, 2007 23:23  

  • Heh, at least he didn't say Nobel caliber... Not that they haven't elected dumber candidates. Yasser Arafat? C'mon.

    Back to subject; The compasion basically boils down to "assembly for artistic expression" vs "assembly for economy". I don't think the real items would look half bad if they had been assembled with a little more care.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 April, 2007 23:23  

  • Oh come on, this is all about the Michael Douglas Falling Down speech where he goes off on the manager for how awful his burger looks.

    The irony is that most of the real-life food looks okay, and where it doesn't that has more to do with the photography than anything else. Except for that KFC bucket thing, which looks awful, but I suspect this just makes it perfect post-bar closing food.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 20 April, 2007 10:41  

  • Ever heard of poutine, Mike, that artery-hardening combination of fries, gravy and cheese curds from Quebec. No? Well, let me tempt you. Ready? Here you go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20 April, 2007 11:23  

  • Peter: Perfect.

    I went to school in Rochester NY, home of Nick Taho's infamous Garbage Plate.

    The Optic department chair, now at Oxford, used to take the secretaries out for lunch there.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 20 April, 2007 11:55  

  • That link broke, so try this if you are so inclined:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 20 April, 2007 15:08  

  • I like *one* of the items in the list. Hint: it has to do with turkey.

    By Blogger JTS, at 20 April, 2007 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home