Plumbing the Depths

Again, I can't help myself, but the hi-fi dumbo parade continues. Not content with magic marker CD stabilizers, $8000 speaker cables, babinga wood speaker cable supports, etc, there are now amplifiers with wooden heat sinks. You'd think thermal conductivity would be important for a heat sink, but that's just for the masses. I'm guessing they tried vinyl first, but that they had to switch because they kept melting off.
Labels: dumb people are dumb

2 Comments:
Having just purchased a widescreen LCD TV, I can vouch for this nonsense firsthand.
6' HDMI cable, apparently made of unobtanium, $50.
6' component video cable (probably nothing more than a jumped up RCA cable, worth about $0.70/foot), apparently made of less valuable creme de Texas Light, $30.
Had I any sense, I would have gone with RCA cables.
Had I absolutely no sense whatsoever, I would have resorted to HDMI.
I guess the outcome proves me a halfwit.
By
Hey Skipper, at 07 November, 2007 19:02
The HDMI cable is better, because the RCA requires converting from a digital signal to an analog signal and then back to digital again, but there's no good technical reason the HDMI cables are any more expensive than a CAT-5 network cable.
The markup is just the TV version of underbody rust prevention spray.
By
Mike Beversluis, at 08 November, 2007 13:13
Post a Comment
<< Home