Mike Beversluis

Friday, April 04, 2008

[Snippets] In Bruges

In Bruges, by Martin McDonagh (UK/ Belgium 2008)

Just a small note on this movie that I didn't find, overall, exceptional and tells the story of a couple of professional killers that after making a grave mistake during one of their hits must spend some time in hiding and they do so in the tranquil city of Bruges.

I spare you a detailed description of the movie, I am interested in telling about just a detail: during the movie there is a sequence that is really beautiful cinema. The two protagonists are visiting a museum and the camera dwells on two of the paintings, slowly revealing some of the details. Thanks to Google I was able to identify one of the paintings - it is the Last Judgment Triptych by Hyeronimus Bosch (I took as a reference this painting database that seems official enough) - I don't know about the other painting. But they are both beautiful and, above all, quite terrifying.

One shows a man being flayed alive, the other (the one that I know is by Bosch) the torments of the Last Judgment seen in a sort of nightmarish way. As the camera advances and goes slowly over various details the two protagonists can read into the paintings the dark side of their life and their profession; and together with them the viewers can get some feeling about the killer's job, that is the violence, the terror, the nightmares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home