Mike Beversluis

Saturday, October 04, 2008

What else



This one was written by Lucio Battisti, who had a success a singer as well despite not having great singing talents; in fact he had a success as a singer only because he sang his own songs, that he knew how to write.
When translating I met again with the fact that I cannot make total sense of the lyrics (my fault perhaps); what does it mean exactly "two people that do not hope but keep looking for each other" in this context where everything else gives the impression that the two people in fact know each other? (there is a bit of complication, the italian expression "si stan cercando" in this context in my opinion really implies that you don't know where the other person is). But it could be that the singer is thinking about someone she has lost; and in any case let us give a little bit of poetic credit.


E penso a te
And I think of you




Io lavoro e penso a teI work, and think of you
Torno a casa e penso a teGo back home, and think of you
Io telefono e intantoI'm on the phone and in the meantime
penso a te I think of you.
Come stai, e penso a teHow are you, and I think of you
Dove andiamo, e penso a teWhere shall we go, and I think of you
Gli sorrido, abbasso gli occhiI smile to him, lower my eyes,
e penso a teand I think of you
Non so con chi adesso seiI don't know with whom you are right now
Non so che cosa faiI don't know what you are doing
ma so di certo a cosa but I know with certainty
stai pensandowhat you are thinking about
e' troppo grande la citta'the city is way too big
per due che come noifor two people like us
non sperano pero'do not hope but
si stan cercando ... cercandothey keep looking for each other... looking for each other.
Scusa e' tardi, e penso a te I am sorry, it's getting late, and I think of you
ti accompagno, e penso a teI'll walk you, and I think of you
non son stata divertente eI wasn't fun tonight, and
penso a tethink of you
sono al buio, e penso a teI am in the dark, and think of you
chiudo gli occhi, e penso a teI close my eyes, and think of you
io non dormo e...penso a teI can't sleep and ... think of you.
Non so con chi adesso seiI don't know with whom you are right now
Non so che cosa faiI don't know what you are doing
ma so di certo a cosa but I know with certainty
stai pensandowhat you are thinking about
e' troppo grande la citta'the city is way too big
per due che come noifor two people like us
non sperano pero'do not hope but
si stan cercando ... cercandothey keep looking for each other... looking for each other.
Scusa e' tardi, e penso a te I am sorry, it's getting late, and I think of you
ti accompagno, e penso a teI'll walk you, and I think of you
non son stata divertente eI wasn't fun tonight, and
penso a tethink of you
sono al buio, e penso a teI am in the dark, and think of you
chiudo gli occhi, e penso a teI close my eyes, and think of you
io non dormo e...penso a teI can't sleep and ... think of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home