Le monde vivant, by Eugene Green (2003)
I waited two weeks since I saw this movie before commenting on it because I wanted to avoid just criticizing it. Waiting was good because now I have something positive to say, as well. Since not all of you will have seen it, the short summary is that it is a movie that tells a medieval story, but the costumes are reduced to a minimum; to give you an idea, the main knight wears his sword over his blue jeans, the lady is in a sweater and the lion is represented by a dog.
Ok, but let us start with some criticism. The movie is boring and slow: it could last 40 minutes rather than 75 and it would not need to leave out anything of what is said and done.
Besides, some of the lines spoken by the characters, a mixture of philosophy and existentialism, sound hollow.
The good thing is this: the movie takes away all of what is superfluous from the medieval tales (in fact the characters are dressed in the attire of our times) but leaves the thing that attracts and charms more, that is a world where actions are a direct result of feelings and the feelings are clear and strong (well, a little bit the opposite to the complications I, and I bet others too, live through every day).
Ok, I already told you that it is boring, so I'm safe.
JTS
Ok, but let us start with some criticism. The movie is boring and slow: it could last 40 minutes rather than 75 and it would not need to leave out anything of what is said and done.
Besides, some of the lines spoken by the characters, a mixture of philosophy and existentialism, sound hollow.
The good thing is this: the movie takes away all of what is superfluous from the medieval tales (in fact the characters are dressed in the attire of our times) but leaves the thing that attracts and charms more, that is a world where actions are a direct result of feelings and the feelings are clear and strong (well, a little bit the opposite to the complications I, and I bet others too, live through every day).
Ok, I already told you that it is boring, so I'm safe.
JTS

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home