Mike Beversluis

Sunday, January 22, 2006

[LMS] Match point

Match point, by Woody Allen (UK/Luxembourg 2005)

I have read around many people saying that they like it, and I also do; there is one of the most important characteristics of the tragedy, the fact that it is impossible to solve the situation and at the end someone will lose. I add this; I have seen just a few movies by Woody Allen, and from the few I have seen I got the impression that his characters have quite weak relationships with the place they live in. Granted, they go around NY and other cities, but they aren't linked to them either economically or by affections; their encounters do not lead to putting down some roots.
Well, the protagonist of Match point does not have roots as well, and this lets tragedy develop more easily; he does not have any space for retreat and this leaves him exposed to the violence of passion, to the unavoidable changes in the body and to the eyes of the spectators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home