Mike Beversluis

Friday, June 16, 2006

[LMS] Tulipany

Tulipany, di Jacek Borcuch (Polonia 2004)

Since the movie programs here in Rochester aren't terribly exciting, I review this Polish movie that I saw at some friends' home.

I did not like it, and let me explain why. In the opening shots a man, approaching his older years, is brought to the hospital because of a heart attack. While he is in the hospital two of his friends and his son have the time and chance to reflect on the relationship among them and between each of them and women.

It appeared to me that the fundamental theme of the movie is that relationships between people are created and grow through shared moments of intense emotion. Ok, let us make an allowance for love between man and woman :-), but in my opinion for what regards friendships we are not quite on spot.

This fundamental idea of the movie is in my opinion seen in many moments, for example in the big laugh the characters have together when the subplot of the car is clarified (I don't tell you what precisely happens in the subplot because I don't want to spoil the movie to much :-)) or also in the wedding scene, and in other moments as well.

It is interesting to note as in one of the dialogues the ailing (and recovering)father complains about loneliness as he sees it as the basic condition of human life. In my opinion there is a link, which I am not able to understand completely and therefore analyze, between this belief and the idea that shared emotions are what keeps human relationships together.

In synthesis the movie goes on with this theme of emotions and relationships, and I do not find any keen interest in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home