Guilty pleasures
1. The Economist: How can they always be wrong? How is that even possible?*
2. Road House vs Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man: Sure, nobody puts baby in a corner, but honestly, Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson had some good chemistry. The Billy Baldwin Leather Terminator Trenchcoat mafia is beyond belief, and the Niponphobic Japanese serving evil yuppie boss with Tia Carrere as secretary of the month is just icing on the cake. Incidentally, these are terrible awful movies.
3. I mention the above two movies because they were on TV last week, in part, because I added HBO back to watch the new season of The Wire. Which isn't a guilty pleasure at all. So far, season four has been not bad, but the last episode was the first to feel like anything is going on and we are already 5 episodes into the show. That hardly makes me feel like I got my money's worth each time I pay my much-higher-than-I-wish-it-was tv bill**. Given that this season is supposed to be about the crumbling inner city school system they are getting way too preachy. They are pretty much playing the straight teacher's union line. McNulty has appeared for a grand total of 15 seconds. Dear The Wire - you are on notice, sir.
4. Volvo's. I'd like to own one someday. It makes no sense.

*Yes, that is subjective, but I'm still right.
**Yes, if I am going to whine about the cost, I could just cancel my DirectTV, but basically it's at the threshold price. I've gone without on and off again the last couple of years. I am hoping that one day omnipresent broadband internet access allows for much cheaper access to shows, although I'm not sure how much room there is to move due to the current market inefficiencies. For what it's worth, I haven't been to the movies in months.
2. Road House vs Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man: Sure, nobody puts baby in a corner, but honestly, Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson had some good chemistry. The Billy Baldwin Leather Terminator Trenchcoat mafia is beyond belief, and the Niponphobic Japanese serving evil yuppie boss with Tia Carrere as secretary of the month is just icing on the cake. Incidentally, these are terrible awful movies.
3. I mention the above two movies because they were on TV last week, in part, because I added HBO back to watch the new season of The Wire. Which isn't a guilty pleasure at all. So far, season four has been not bad, but the last episode was the first to feel like anything is going on and we are already 5 episodes into the show. That hardly makes me feel like I got my money's worth each time I pay my much-higher-than-I-wish-it-was tv bill**. Given that this season is supposed to be about the crumbling inner city school system they are getting way too preachy. They are pretty much playing the straight teacher's union line. McNulty has appeared for a grand total of 15 seconds. Dear The Wire - you are on notice, sir.
4. Volvo's. I'd like to own one someday. It makes no sense.

*Yes, that is subjective, but I'm still right.
**Yes, if I am going to whine about the cost, I could just cancel my DirectTV, but basically it's at the threshold price. I've gone without on and off again the last couple of years. I am hoping that one day omnipresent broadband internet access allows for much cheaper access to shows, although I'm not sure how much room there is to move due to the current market inefficiencies. For what it's worth, I haven't been to the movies in months.
Labels: economics, hot volvo action, movies, The Economist is always wrong

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home