Mike Beversluis

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Cell Phones For Soldiers

Via Iowahawk, here is Mary Lu's post about Cell Phones For Soldiers. You can turn in an old cell-phone, which was just getting in the way of buying that new iPhone Razr anyhow, and the dilithium crystals will be used to buy phone cards for soldiers in Iraq. Apparently each cell phone = 60 minutes.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I fail to get it. Why not just directly buy phone cards for soldiers? People don't have *that* many old cell phones lying around... resource-wise, it is vastly outweighed by the amount of extra cash available.

    People waste a lot of energy trying to do things the "cool" way, despite the massive inefficiency.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 01 June, 2007 07:52  

  • Yeah, you're probably right, but on the other hand, I did have an old cell phone lying around that I gave away.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 02 June, 2007 22:01  

  • I don't get it either. It smacks a bit of the Christmas foodbanks where you unload the cans of vegetables nobody in your family will eat. Where is the effort and sense of sacrifice? Gee, I've got some old tools I'll never use again. Maybe the army can use them.

    Is this in response to a demand? Are the soldiers so poorly paid they can't make a quick call every once and a while? I dunno, if I were over there facing death all around me, I'm not at all sure I would appreciate the expectation that I call home three times a day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03 June, 2007 07:23  

  • Oh, I am sure poor people love pumpkin pie mix and cranberry sauce five times a week. I do.

    I don't know about the rest, but I don't see how it can hurt.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 03 June, 2007 21:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home