Mike Beversluis

Thursday, July 05, 2007

[Snippets] Sicko

Michael Moore is biased, unfair, even dishonest sometimes; but this is how we like our polemists. And on certain things he is very much right.

5 Comments:

  • We? I cannot stand him.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 05 July, 2007 22:58  

  • Is there any context to this seemingly random post? I was expecting a link to something controversial or ... anything.

    Unrelated, the letters in the word scramble below required for my verification spell out "sexpot". Odd, yet funny.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 July, 2007 01:57  

  • Well, the context is given by the title of the post, Sicko, that is the movie that I saw last. He more or less makes his case without too much regard for being balanced and fair, but in this way uncovers a few issues that in my opinion absolutely need to be corrected. For example the fact that insurance companies can refuse to cover people on the basis of their medical history. Of course this fact is related with the fact that people are free not to have health insurance if they want, in fact an insurance company could say: ah, till you were healthy you did not want to be insured, now you are sick and you want the insurance, but why should I insure you now? There is some complexity, but there has to be a solution.

    By Blogger JTS, at 06 July, 2007 15:41  

  • Kurt Loder (!) wrote a take-down.

    I think mandatory HSA's (with preventative health care and checkups) along with catastrophic insurance would be a good answer.

    The fact that you get to keep what you don't spend out of your savings account would put a downward pressure on health care costs.

    It's also what I am doing. You do need to start young, though.

    By Blogger Mike Beversluis, at 07 July, 2007 12:52  

  • I agree that it could be a basis for a good system. I think that many different systems could work, and not that there is one system that trumps all of the others. Said this, in my opinion one of the key-words of what you said is "mandatory". It seems to me that in this case the lack of rules is not "healthy". For other details, I would need to think a bit more.

    By Blogger JTS, at 07 July, 2007 15:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home