I kinda miss the old Keillor
BDR has pretty consistently pushed Garrison Keillor over the line which separates funny from mean, but nothing quite brings a domestic fight to a temporary standstill as the introduction of external enemy. Meet Bernard-Henri Lévy:
Read the rest at the NY Times. Two comments spring to mind: First, what American would be interested writing that book? As Homer Simpson explained, "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." Second, it really only points towards my own prejudices and stereotypes, but:

Depardieu called and he wants his look back.
Any American with a big urge to write a book explaining France to the French should read this book first, to get a sense of the hazards involved. Bernard-Henri Lévy is a French writer with a spatter-paint prose style and the grandiosity of a college sophomore; he rambled around this country at the behest of The Atlantic Monthly and now has worked up his notes into a sort of book. It is the classic Freaks, Fatties, Fanatics & Faux Culture Excursion beloved of European journalists for the past 50 years...
Read the rest at the NY Times. Two comments spring to mind: First, what American would be interested writing that book? As Homer Simpson explained, "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." Second, it really only points towards my own prejudices and stereotypes, but:

Depardieu called and he wants his look back.

2 Comments:
One thing of note is that Bernard-Henri Lévy is actually thought of as a bottom-feeder by most people who have a brain (and are aware of his existence,) be they French or otherwise. To expend energy in response to anything he says or writes is an utter waste. I understand Garrison got paid, but anyone else...
By
Anonymous, at 31 January, 2006 00:17
Luckily Mike read just the review, and not the book ...
By
JTS, at 01 February, 2006 22:38
Post a Comment
<< Home