PhDillema
So my PhD came in the mail last week, and I framed it, but I'm not sure where to hang it.
How much you flash your credentials says a lot about you, although I'm not sure what it says that I'm worrying so much about what it says... This is getting a little too meta for me to keep track of... The upshot is this - I don't use Dr. in front of my name because it sounds pretentious, and hanging my PhD up in my house seems likewise.
I mentioned this to my sister, and her idea was to hang it in my bathroom, which except for water damage from my shower steam, seems perfect. So she had an even better idea, which was to make a bad photocopy and hang that up instead - perhaps whiting out my name and reapplying it in a mismatched font. I think spoofing authentic credentials is hilarious, and if I had enough job security I would then be happy to hang it up at work. Granted, this does have a total LOOK AT ME dorkwad aspect, but perhaps that's fair. I think it would puzzle people who I can't afford (yet) to puzzle, so it will have to wait. My blog doesn't.
How much you flash your credentials says a lot about you, although I'm not sure what it says that I'm worrying so much about what it says... This is getting a little too meta for me to keep track of... The upshot is this - I don't use Dr. in front of my name because it sounds pretentious, and hanging my PhD up in my house seems likewise.
I mentioned this to my sister, and her idea was to hang it in my bathroom, which except for water damage from my shower steam, seems perfect. So she had an even better idea, which was to make a bad photocopy and hang that up instead - perhaps whiting out my name and reapplying it in a mismatched font. I think spoofing authentic credentials is hilarious, and if I had enough job security I would then be happy to hang it up at work. Granted, this does have a total LOOK AT ME dorkwad aspect, but perhaps that's fair. I think it would puzzle people who I can't afford (yet) to puzzle, so it will have to wait. My blog doesn't.

2 Comments:
I don't know, I think you could pull off a public display if in the right context. I like the photocopy idea, another idea would be to provide some balance with a "#1 Erotic Cake Decorater 1994-1995" degree or perhaps "Valadictorian: Class of '92 - School for Gifted Youngsters with Teret's Syndrome"
By
Anonymous, at 19 June, 2006 11:17
My suggestion is to store it in an elegant cylindrical case in a cabinet, and to show it upon request, and sometimes without being requested as well.
By
JTS, at 19 June, 2006 12:48
Post a Comment
<< Home