Filet'O'Life
Via BookofJoe: No Fish Story: Sandwich Saved His McDonalds, by Paul Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
I wonder what happened? Now, excuse me while I go for a walk to buy a sandwich.
CINCINNATI — In 1962, Lou Groen was desperate to save his floundering hamburger restaurant, the first McDonald's in the Cincinnati area.
His problem: His clientele was heavily Roman Catholic. In those days, most Catholics abstained from meat every Friday, as well as during Lent, the 40-day period of repentance that begins this week with Ash Wednesday.
His solution: He created the Filet-O-Fish — a sandwich that saved his restaurant and eventually would be consumed at a rate of 300 million a year.
"Frisch's (the local Big Boy chain) dominated the market, and they had a very good fish sandwich," recalled Groen, now 89.
"I was struggling. The crew was my wife, myself and a man named George. I did repairs, swept floors, you name it.
"But that area (where his restaurant was located) was 87% Catholic. On Fridays we only took in about $75 a day," said Groen, a Catholic himself. "All our customers were going to Frisch's.
"So I invented my fish sandwich, developed a special batter, made the tartar sauce and took it to headquarters."
That led to a wager between Groen and McDonald's chief Ray Kroc, who had his own meatless idea.
"He called his sandwich the Hula Burger," Groen said. "It was a cold bun and a slice of pineapple and that was it.
"Ray said to me, 'Well, Lou, I'm going to put your fish sandwich on (a menu) for a Friday. But I'm going to put my special sandwich on, too. Whichever sells the most, that's the one we'll go with.'
I wonder what happened? Now, excuse me while I go for a walk to buy a sandwich.
Labels: food

2 Comments:
Sounds like a plan, but KFC has a new fish sandwich for .99 that looks far superior... I'll let you know. ;)
By
Anonymous, at 12 March, 2007 00:20
This reminds me of my idea to start reviewing fast food restaurants.
This came up when I was discussing their large variance with a Brazilian couple - the McDonald's there are much nicer they say. I think it depends a lot on the managers here and how tight a ship they run.
By
Mike Beversluis, at 13 March, 2007 13:37
Post a Comment
<< Home