Sports

Well, that was a good game. Mariners win 3-0 on a 1 hit shut out. Here is a not really related cartoon which somehow captures the moment.
The odd thing about baseball and sports in general, is that the outcome of a completely insane-when-you-think-about-it game played by guys I know not at all personally makes me feel good or bad. I guess the ultimate expression of this is the Olympics, where I'm supposed to root for semi-pro ice curlers based on the flag design of their unitard. And the rules for sports are bizarre, arcane, arbitrary, and mostly incomprehensible. It is a great metaphor for life, which is mostly absurd and mostly hilarious*.
I have worked in a mostly European group in the past and have only marginally defended baseball (and only marginally made fun of soccer; except when the French lost. That was great). Anyway, you either get baseball or you don't, in which case you have bad taste in sports and you should feel bad.
* "Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."
George Bernard Shaw
Labels: a thousand monkeys typing, baseball, international pissing contests, NYCotD


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home