De restoratione italiana in Rochester
A few days ago I had dinner, together with two friends, at a renowned italian restaurant in Rochester.
The restaurant owners declare to be offering something as close to southern Italian cuisine as you can get. Still, I have a fair amount of criticism.
I got a pasta dish. There are a few things which make it un-italian. First of all the pasta was a bit over-cooked. Second, it was missing salt. Third, the amount of sauce was disproportionately large with respect to the amount of pasta; it was still less with respect to one other place I have been at (I don't go much around to restaurants, this is why I recall pretty well what I eat when I go there): in that other place you had to sift the sauce in order to find the pasta, here at least I was able to easily find the pasta pieces in the sauce.
I think the explanation for this phenomenon - that italian restaurants in Rochester swamp their dishes into sauce - is that if they put a reasonable amount of sauce, then their customers would not like it as much. Because it is quite unlikely that *all* restaurant owners that come from an italian family does not know how an italian dish looks like.
The restaurant owners declare to be offering something as close to southern Italian cuisine as you can get. Still, I have a fair amount of criticism.
I got a pasta dish. There are a few things which make it un-italian. First of all the pasta was a bit over-cooked. Second, it was missing salt. Third, the amount of sauce was disproportionately large with respect to the amount of pasta; it was still less with respect to one other place I have been at (I don't go much around to restaurants, this is why I recall pretty well what I eat when I go there): in that other place you had to sift the sauce in order to find the pasta, here at least I was able to easily find the pasta pieces in the sauce.
I think the explanation for this phenomenon - that italian restaurants in Rochester swamp their dishes into sauce - is that if they put a reasonable amount of sauce, then their customers would not like it as much. Because it is quite unlikely that *all* restaurant owners that come from an italian family does not know how an italian dish looks like.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home